Media Studies (A Level)
Why study Media Studies? (A Level)
The media play a central role in contemporary culture, society and politics. They
shape our perceptions of the world through the representations, ideas and points of
view they offer. The media have real relevance and importance in our lives today,
providing us with ways to communicate, with forms of cultural expression and the
ability to participate in key aspects of society.
Which syllabus do we follow?
WJEC A/AS Level
What is the course about?
The course offers learners the opportunity to develop a thorough and in
depth understanding of key issues, using key concepts and a variety of critical
perspectives to support critical exploration and reflection, analysis and debate. The
study of a wide range of rich and stimulating media products is central to the
specification, offering opportunities for detailed analysis of how the media
communicate meanings in a variety of forms.
The course aims to develop knowledge and understanding of the transnational nature of the media, considering the effect of different national contexts on representations in media
products, the global reach of media industries, and the targeting of audiences on a
national and global scale.
Year 1 AS level
Unit 1 Written Exam 24%
Unit 2 Coursework 16%
Year 2 A Level
Unit 3 Written Exam 36%
Unit 4 Coursework 24%
Specific Entry Requirements
Students applying for the Level 3 BTEC in Creative Digital Media Production should achieve at the very least a Level 4 in English Language, Maths and 3 other GCSE subjects. Students invited for interview will be asked to prepare a portfolio that expresses your creativity along with a written task set by the CMSS. This work will be assessed by the subject specialist as part of the interview process and will contribute to the decision of an offer being made.
One of the biggest advantages of the Studio School is every department has unlimited access to all of the resources on offer. Each department does, however, specialise in an array of core resources. This enable students to get the most out of the resources closest to their chosen subject.
The Media department’s core resources are:
- Industry standard HD film cameras
- Small portable cameras (GoPro’s) for close up action
- A portable television broadcasting station
- Rigs, jigs, trolls and crane to help access every angle
- The latest version of Adobe’s Creative Cloud software
Trips & Enrichment
- You will have access to a variety of industry standard equipment such as; Panasonic 4k Cameras, 3D cameras, Black Magic cameras, Man Frotto tripods, professional pulleys and rigs, steady cams, a range of high quality microphones and all the necessary software.
- You will gain experience of adapting to different environments and location sets, showing you are reliable and able to apply your classroom learning to real-life scenarios.
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to live campaigns and business needs such as; live Sporting events (Huddersfield Giants) and creating short films for national campaigns.
- You will be part of production teams, working on project briefs set by real businesses and organisations.
- Trips include visits to the Cinema and the Media Museum to support research and development of units.
- Trips are planned to creative media related conferences and exhibitions to help decide your next step after college including visits to Back Stage Academy.
- 100% pass rate achieved by all students.
- 39% Achieved the highest grades possible.
Many students who successfully complete the course go on to one of the following pathways:Graphic Design, Illustration or a related subject at University / Advertising / Art Direction / Book Designer / Branding Agency / Crafts / Digital or Film Designer / Direct Marketing / Graphic Designer / Magazine & Newspaper Design / Mobile Marketing / Packaging - Product Design / Spatial Design / TV & Cinema Advertising to name but a few.
Would You Like To Find Out More?
Maybe you have a question about the different range of units you can study? Or maybe you want a bit more info on the resources? Whatever your question, the Tutors are more than happy to answer any that you have. Get in touch and we’ll get back to you with all the answers.
This video created by our students showcases some of the techniques they have learnt here at the Creative & Media Studio School. Make sure you watch through to the end for an epic wizard battle! To keep up to date with our videos subscribe to our Youtube channel.